Thursday 20 October 2011

Alphabet Soup: Workshop Illustrator

As part of my visual investigation i attempted to make all of my 10 letter 'm's representing pop in Illustrator. Some where more easy then others using the simple text tool or the pen tool whereas others where more complex to form.

I created a pattern of dots and made a swatch to fill this letter, i liked using a fill that i'd created and think it came out well.

This one was more simple i just used the text tool to create and upper and lower case of the letter, filling one white and one black, bringing the lower case in front of the upper and overlapping.

Although initially this one started off well simply creating a perfect circle from the eclipse tool i struggled in getting the defining lines inside right using the pen tool. I'd made two separate lines on the bottom half and it wouldn't let me delete the one overlapping the one i wanted to keep, after expanding and using pathfinder i managed to get rid of it. I like the idea of this one and i think it represents 'pop' well.

This one was again not so difficult and after creating lines with the pen tool i again expanded, used the pathfinder and delete the unwanted lines.

I like this letter, i think it has a slight humour to it. I created it the same as before, adding a jagged line with the pen tool, separating them, rotating the part above and adding lines indicating movement to show how its 'popped' off.

Using the same technique i cut the bottom two serifs off and rotated them slightly.

I like how all the letters look a lot more clear, neat and crisp compared to hand rendered. 

Using the pen tool i curved the top of the 'm' and bottom to form similar shapes to music notes. 

This one was the simple pen tool adding a 3D pop out effect.

I used 3 separate letters filling two in with white and one black, bringing one to the front and another to the back to create a layered effect.


After visually investigating all my letters i decided i wanted to make a pattern and create a swatch to fill my 'pop' alphabet with.


I started making a pattern out circles using a variety of different sizes and after looking through the brief decided to take the opportunity to use a colour within the pattern. I changed some outlines to a deep pink and filled a few some ones with it. I liked how this changed the pattern. I then saved the pattern and made a swatch from it and used it to fill text. However this didn't seem to go as well as planned and the letters weren't clear enough as some of the circles where to big. I began editing my pattern repeatedly by shrinking circles and adding more in but struggled to get the right consistency of circles that i aimed for because it wasn't detailed enough. This lead me to form a big block of the pattern by selecting a section and using the repeat technique to form a big block as before it wasn't in a square or rectangle and was forming white space around the swatch. 

However this lead to the letters being cut off on different areas of the page as you can see with the 'P' and glyphs. As you can see i tried to separate the alphabet into sections instead of in one text to see if that would help and still no luck. With the help of Simon and aid of Adobe Help we discovered the swatch still had white space around it and that was what was causing them to be cut off. To fix this I added a borderless empty rectangle into the pattern and then made another new swatch. This then made solid swatch with no white space, finally!The letters where then full form!

Through visual investigation i played around with opacity and liked how it changed the pattern. This lead me to cut the alphabet up in sections on how it generally is said and decreasing the opacity level by level. Similarly to how its said (loud at first then slowly less enthusiastic) the sections fade from the intial bright pattern. I think this is a good representation of pop as not only is it using the pop art pattern of circles but just the like the action, the opacity is initially loud and active and begins to slowly fade.

Printed A1

No comments:

Post a Comment